Whether you have a jewelry box filled with your favorite custom bracelets, diamond earrings, or pearl necklaces, it’s important to understand how to properly care for and maintain your custom jewelry or family heirlooms to ensure it always looks its best. Adeler Jewelers shares a few tips on how to keep your jewelry in the best condition:
General Jewelry Care and Maintenance Tips from Adeler Jewelers:
- Keep your fine jewelry items from touching one another to avoid abrasion.
- Clean your custom jewelry regularly. Soap and oils from fingerprints can significantly detract from the beauty of your diamonds and other jewelry pieces.
- Apply makeup and cosmetics prior to putting on your favorite jewelry items. Chemicals in these substances can often harm the look of your gold and damage your favorite pearls.
- Avoid wearing jewelry in swimming pools. Chlorine can react with metals causing color and structural damage.
- Be careful not to wear your jewelry while working in the kitchen, garden, or cleaning. High jewelry items should not be worn while engaged in activities where they’ll be subject to any form of brushing or hard contact. A strong blow from the side could dislodge a gemstone from its mounting.
- Cultured pearl necklaces should be strung with knots between each bead (visit our jewelry repair page to learn more). Keep all pearls away from hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics.
- Visit your local jewelry store to have your items inspected semi-annually or after any sharp blow to stones or mounting, so they can access any damage and to get your custom jewelry back in prime condition.
For more tips on general jewelry care or to have one of our expert jewelers take a look at your custom jewelry pieces, contact us today!